How to Use This Book 3
1. Start by filling out Part I of Form 8829 (lines 1–7) and determining your Time-Space
percentage (see chapters 2 and 1, respectively).
2. Complete Form 4562 (see chapter 3); enter the amount on line 22 of Form 4562 on
line 13 of Schedule C.
3. Complete lines 1–29 of Schedule C (see chapter 5), and enter the amount on line 29 of
Schedule C on line 8 of Form 8829.
4. Finish filling out Form 8829; enter the amount on line 35 of Form 8829 on line 30 of
5. Finish filling out Schedule C and any other tax forms that you need to complete, such
as your Form 1040 and your state tax forms.
Here’s a flowchart that shows the proper order for filling out your tax forms:
Report house expenses
such as property tax
Expenses for Business
Amortization Report depreciation of
Profit or Loss
Schedule SE Self-
Income Tax Form
Report all other
Calculate your self-
Social Security) tax
Additional forms you may need to complete:
Schedule A Itemized Deductions
Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses
Schedule EIC Earned Income Credit
Form 3115 Application for Change in Accounting Method
Form 4684 Casualties and Thefts
Form 4797 Sales of Business Property
Form 8863 Education Credits
If your state has an income tax, attach copies of all your
federal forms to your state income tax return.