Why Observe Children?
• How did the relationship change as you got to know the
• Did learning about the child help you understand the
Finding Your Observation Style
Purpose: To discover what you already know about observation and
documentation, and what you want to learn more about.
What to Do: Begin an ongoing journal in which you record your
answers to questions posed throughout this book. Here are some
questions to get you started. Spend a few minutes jotting down your
responses to them.
• What do you already know about observation and docu-
mentation? Do you observe children in your work and life?
What do you think you learn by observing children?
• What are some reasons to observe children and document
what they are doing and saying?
• What are some questions you have about observation and
documentation? What do you want to learn more about?
• Why is documentation an important part of the observation
process? COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL