This guide includes all of the instructions, print, and video materials you will need to pro-
vide rich professional development experiences for your teachers as they implement the Build-
ing Structures with Young Childrenteacher’s guide in their classrooms. When workshops and
guided discussions are combined with mentoring over time, your training program will lead to
a quality science education program.
The trainer’s guide has four components:
• A set of six Basic Workshops: These workshops use hands-on experiences and reflective
conversations to provide teachers with a practical understanding of the science content
and inquiry process that will inform their teaching; help in recognizing the science in chil-
dren’s work; and help in guiding children’s explorations. These workshops also provide an
overview of all sections of the teacher’s guide.
• Eight Advanced Workshops: These workshops use samples of children’s work and con-
versations to help teachers build a practical understanding of their multifaceted role as
facilitators of science inquiry.
• A structure for Guided Discussions: These discussions provide a forum for small groups
of teachers to use classroom documentation to stimulate collaborative reflection on their
own science teaching and plan new and more effective approaches.
• A description of aMentoring Program: This section helps mentors use classroom obser-
vations and conferencing to support teachers with their individual challenges and help
them assess their teaching and refine their practice.
The following sections will help you plan and implement your program:
• Planning an Effective Professional Development Program(below) will help you
select the appropriate components and schedule your events.
• Getting Started(p. 6) describes a three-step process for preparing yourself for conduct-
ing the basic and advanced workshops.
• Resources(p. 193) offers a range of tools, including descriptions of each of the instruc-
tional strategies used in the workshops, guidance and forms for evaluating teacher growth
and planning guided discussions, a log of the video vignettes, and a bibliography for you
and for teachers.
Planning an Effective Professional
These comprehensive training materials, designed to support teacher implementation of the
Building Structures with Young Childrenteacher guide, can be adapted to the needs of your particu-
lar program and teachers. We suggest you plan a three-stage program:
1. Help teachers become familiar with the teacher’s guide and the science concepts and in-
quiry process at the heart of Building Structures with Young Children.
2. Help teachers build their capacity as inquiry-based science teachers.
3. Sustain progress you have made and support teachers as they continue to refine their
science teaching practice.