kindergarten to college? I conducted focus groups with immi-
grant parents who were very preoccupied with this question.
As the starting point to a school career, kindergarten is the first
opportunity that paves the way for college.
Using This Book
This book contains information about children’s transition to kin-
dergarten as well as practical ideas and activities for children and
parents and preschool, child care, and kindergarten staff. Based on
your needs, you might use the entire book as a planning tool or use
parts of it that are more relevant for your particular situation. The
following list provides examples of how different people might apply
what they read.
• Child care center directors or elementary school principals
might find ideas for training staff on the transition to
• Family child care providers might use the vocabulary to explain
school readiness to parents as well as for tips to give them on
how to prepare their children for kindergarten.
• College instructors might include information in a syllabus to
provide students with a comprehensive view of the transition to
• Parent educators might use the contents to prepare handouts for
• Preschool teachers might integrate the ideas into curricula for
children preparing for kindergarten.
• Kindergarten teachers and preschool teachers might read the
book together in a study group and develop a comprehensive