18 chapter 3
words you Can Use
potholder, rolling pin, spatula, utensils
what you need
■ three or four cooking utensils or items
such as a rolling pin, can opener, spatula,
■ cloth for hiding utensils
what you Do
1. Gather the children in a circle.
2. Select three or more familiar utensils.
3. Place them in a pile or in a straight line.
4. Ask the children to look at the utensils
very carefully as you identify them.
5. Cover the utensils.
6. Ask the children to close or cover their
7. Remove one of the items and hide it.
8. Ask the children to look and see.
9. Let the children guess which item or
utensil is missing.
10. Add or remove more than one utensil or
item as children become more observant.
11. Ask them to share how they remembered
what was missing.
questions you Can Ask
■ How many items did you see?
■ Which one is missing?
Look and See
Edible_inside.indd 18 12/11/09 2:16 PM